Senator Loren Legarda today appealed for Judicial Humanitarianism and called on the Judicial authorities to allow a nursing mother Judilyn Oliveros to be with her new born baby and enjoy rooming-in facilities in a hospital.
Judilyn Oliveros was one of the health workers dubbed as “Morong 43” who were charged in Court and suspected to be linked with communist rebels. Judilyn gave birth to a baby boy. In a recent report, the court denied her motion, despite lack of opposition from the prosecutors, to stay in a hospital with her baby boy, thus, was poised to be transferred back to Camp Bagong Diwa for her continued detention.
In appealing for Judicial Humanitarianism, Loren cited Republic Act No. 7600 "The Rooming-In and Breast-Feeding Act of 1992" as amended by Republic Act No. 10028 the "Expanded Breastfeeding Promotion Act of 2009" which established the State policy and right of a mother the practice of breastfeeding her new-born child. The law provides mother and child to enjoy an environment where basic physical, emotional, and psychological needs of mothers and infants are fulfilled through the practice of rooming-in and breastfeeding. Said Loren, “these rights cannot be available inside a jail facility where conditions are bad, ventilation and sanitation is poor and there are reports about the spread of tuberculosis among inmates”.
Loren continues to champion women’s and children’s rights and has authored and co-authored several bills enacted into law in pursuit of such advocacy. Among these were the Magna Carta for Women, the Universal Newborn Hearing Screening and Intervention Act of 2009, theAnti-Violence Against Women and Children Act, the Anti-Child Labor Law.
Mobile #: 0928-5046017
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Sidebar: Three Months Not Enough for Nursing Mom, ...
- Alliance to jail officials: Implement court order ...
- Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights -- ...
- Court grants Judilyn Oliveros' plea to breastfeed ...
- Letter to DOJ Secretary De Lima re-Morong 43
- Press Statement by the Morong 43 detainees from Ca...
- On the Inhumane Justice Based on the Illegal Arres...
- LOREN APPEALS FOR JUDICIAL HUMANITARIANISM: ALLOW ...
- To P-Noy : Learn from personal and collective his...
- Statement Sen. Teofisto “TG” Guingona on Judilyn O...
- Visiting hours suspended today because of Morong 4...
- Group disappointed by court decision; outraged by ...
- To the families of the 43 detained health workers:...
- HEAD to PNoy: Strengthen People-Based Health Progr...
- Court defers arraignment of 'Morong 43' anew
- De Lima Supports Non-Separation of Morong 43 Mom, ...
- Some injustices can be corrected now, even without...
- DOJ chief won’t let Morong 43 detainee separated f...
- Office of the General Assembly Gradye Pa...
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team