The United Church of Canada
3250 Bloor Street
West Suite 300
Telephone: 416 231-5931
Voice Mail: 416-231-7680
The United Church of Canada strongly condemns the arrest by 300 government security forces of two medical doctors, a nurse, a midwife and 39 health workers on 6 February 2010.
We call on President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to immediately ensure that their rights are respected and to order their release.
We are informed by Philippine partners of the United Church of Canada that the victims were participants in a training course organised by the non-governmental organization, Council for Health and Development at the home of Dr. Melicia Velmonte in the province of Rizal. The United Church of Canada respects the work of the CHD to provide basic health services and train health care workers to serve in the many communities that have no access to health services. Dr. Velmonte is a renowned and respected infectious disease specialist. Dr. Merry Mia, the Education and Training Services coordinator for CHD and Dr. Alex Montes of Community Medicine Development Foundation, who were conducting the training, are dedicated proponents of community health care and worked many years with their respective NGOs. Dr. Montes is a member of the United Church of Christ in the Philippines which commends his work with marginalized communities.
The unfounded accusations that the victims are known members of the New People’s Army lead us to believe that the arrest and detention of these health workers are linked to the state agenda to terrorise those who struggle for human rights as the country approaches Presidential election in May 2010. We are informed by our Philippine partners that this is part of the campaign to discredit political parties and organizations, including party-list groups, who are critical of the government; a campaign to harass and intimidate the supporters of political parties and organizations, including party-list groups, who pose a serious challenge to those who are entrenched in power during the coming election.
The United Church of Canada is deeply concerned that abuses such as the arrest and detention of the 43 health workers as well as political violence such as the massacre in Maguindanao will escalate during the run up to the election. We are concerned that these election-related violence and abuses will deter the citizens of the Philippines from effectively exercising their right to vote and the holding of a free and fair election in May 2010.
We join the voices of our partners and many international groups in calling on President Macapagal Arroyo to immediately order the release of the 43 health care workers who are now in illegal detention.
We call on the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine National Police and all other government security forces and apparatus to end all forms of abuses, harassment, intimidation and violence against candidates, political parties and organizations, including party list groups, who are critical of the government.
We call on the Government of Canada to condemn the arrest of the 43 health workers and call for their immediate release.
We call on the Government of Canada to help safeguard the future of democracy in the Philippines by putting pressure on the Philippine Government to take immediate and concrete steps to implement measures to stop and prevent election-related violence and human rights abuses.
SGD: Omega Bula
Justice, Global and Ecumenical Relations Unit
The United Church of Canada
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- ▼ Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team