Wednesday, February 10, 2010
NEGROS ISLAND HEALTH INTEGRATED PROGRAM
February 10, 2010
The Negros Island Health Integrated Program (NIHIP), a consortium of Community Based Health Programs (CBHPs) in the Negros Island, strongly condemns the raid conducted by the military and the police on the training seminar organized by the Council for Health and Development (CHD) and the Community Medicine Foundation (COMMED) on February 6, 2010 in Morong, Rizal.
The raid resulted in the illegal arrest and detention of the 43 participating health professionals and health workers of the training seminar composed of two doctors, one nurse, one midwife and 39 community health workers.
These health workers have committed themselves to serving the marginalized people in the countryside. True to the principles of CBHP, not only do they give health services, but they endeavor to empower the people so that they themselves can take care of their own health needs. Commitment and service which the government is suppose to provide but fails to do so. Instead of the government being grateful of and encouraging such endeavors, it resorts to the harassment of these committed health workers.
The health workers were handcuffed, blindfolded, denied legal counsel and prevented from being seen by their friends and relatives. Several of the detained health workers were reported to have been tortured, deprived of sleep and were sexually harassed.
Even the Commission on Human Rights was denied by the military of its constitutional mandate to visit the detainees. Only Monday which was already two days after the illegal arrest the CHR Chair Leila de Lima was finally allowed entry. All of this simply reflects the culture of impunity which the administration of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has been propagating. And this continues despite the negative reviews that this country has been receiving from local observers and the international community regarding its human rights record.
In contrast to the treatment of these health professionals and health workers we observed the privileged treatment given to the suspects of the Maguindanao massacre. Despite the most gruesome nature of the crime and the vast discovered armory (thanks to the military) the suspects were able to avail of their legal rights such as legal counseling and the visitation by their relatives and friends. Exceeding their legal rights, they were however given VIP treatment during their detention and were not even immediately arrested but they were initially just asked to cooperate. Selective “justice” indeed.
The harassment of the 43 is more than what meets the eye. It symbolizes the harassment of all health workers committed to serve and empower the people deprived of their most basic health needs. It is perpetrated to plant fear into the hearts of health workers and the people so as to stifle the movement to liberate the people from this bondage of disease and powerlessness. But the CBHP movement is undaunted. The people, the community health workers, the health professionals—will continue to struggle to heal the health and social malady that we are in.
Respect human rights!
Stop the harassment of health professionals and community health workers!
Free the 43 healthworkers!
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- ▼ Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team