We view with profound concern the illegal arrest and torture of the 43 community health development workers in Morong, Rizal. Among them are the health professionals who decided to stay in our country despite the blatant lack of support system inherent in the State’s health care delivery system. This incident totally defies a logical frame of mind in the face of the abominable health situation of our people.
These are community health workers who are the real health practitioners trying to participate meaningfully in health development and broader community development work while struggling to support their own families.
The arrest and torture of the 43 are appalling. We are horrified by the apparent display of disregard and lack of concern for health care workers who should even be upheld for doing the job and obligation of the government to bring health closer to the people despite, threats to their lives. We are concerned because there is still so much to be done for the marginalized majority whose health needs the State failed to prioritize. We are concerned because the very people who try to bridge this health gap have been subjected to harassment and in a number of instances, killed shamelessly, even if they are unarmed and helpless.
Our government has been sending away world class health professionals for the dollars, draining the country with much needed human resources in health that should have addressed the basic health needs of our people.
The health professionals, especially our best, seem to be traded in Japan for garbage through JPEPA. As if these exploitations and marginalization were not enough, the health workers who chose to stay and respond to the widespread health care needs of our people are now being subjected to different forms of harassment and torture.
Dr. Alexis Montes, who is known among his colleagues as a man of principle and professionalism is now being besmirched by biased claims of the military. They ignore the fact that Dr. Montes is a well-respected health practitioner who has devoted his life contributing to the cause of Community-based Health Programs in most of his medical practice. He is a distinguished member of the United Church for Christ in the Philippines and has helped in the inception of the of the Brokenshire Integrated Health Ministries, Inc.
This latest incident exemplifies an indifferent State that is most probably trying to cover up a blunder that it could not hide or suppress anymore with its inutile response to the Maguindanao massacre that clearly pointed to an unprecedented State violence. And now they are preying on hapless health workers whose only weapons are their determination and dedication to bring health to the ‘forsaken’ Filipino people in the hinterlands, in areas where government services come in trickles.
We are disturbed and disheartened that somebody who has been positively identified as responsible for the brutal killing of 57 people in Ampatuan, Maguindanao gets VIP treatment. In contrast, the whole world saw how the health workers were treated when arrested by the military, as if all 43 of them have been convicted criminals, handcuffed and tortured and forced to admit a crime that have no basis at all! Such abominable treatment is cowardly and inutile, actions that are not to be expected from so-called defender of the people’s security who are supposed to be well-disciplined and respectful of the Filipino people’s human rights.
The Filipinos deserve a just, humane, and decent society no less. We believe that each individual’s rights should be respected and upheld. It is within the context of human dignity that the health sector serves the needy. We strongly believe that the 43 health workers are innocent and deserve to be treated as such!
We therefore appeal to all responsible government line agencies to take immediate and responsible action and intervention on the Morong 43. We appeal to the Arroyo government to make the necessary intervention and undo the wrong its military arm is blatantly committing, instead of resorting to red-baiting and witch-hunting.
This is an urgent call to the public now. Let us be vigilant and make our protestation heard, make the State realize its folly. Let us not allow ourselves to be conned into believing that what they are doing is the right thing. Arresting and torturing the health workers are tantamount to suppressing the right of the Filipino people to basic health services.
Let us stand our ground and not be cowed into silence and cynicism and fear because that is exactly what this government wants its people to be.
LET US CALL ON THE GOVERNMENT TO RELEASE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS NOW!
STOP THE HARASSMENT OF THE HEALTH SECTOR!
LET US ALL BE VIGILANT, FOR OUR BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY FROM US!
“RAGE, RAGE INTO THE DYING OF THE LIGHT!
CONCERNED HEALTH PROFESSIONALS OF DAVAO CITY
Sunday, February 21, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team