Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Statement of Health, Education and Services for the Less Privileged (HELP)-Panay on the Arrest of 43 Health Practitioners and Workers in Morong, Rizal
The Health, Education and Services for the Less Privileged (HELP)-Panay strongly condemns the arrest of 43 health practitioners and workers in Morong, Rizal on February 6, 2010 and calls for their immediate and unconditional release.
The brazen raid of the farmhouse of Dr. Melecia Velmonte, a renowned physician and the arrest and incommunicado detention of Dr. Alex Montes, Dr. Merry Mia and 41 health workers are reminiscent of the repressive Marcosian rule, presently resurrected by the Oplan Bantay Laya of the Arroyo regime.
A massive force of some 300 soldiers of the Southern Luzon Command of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and policemen of the Rizal Philippine National Police raided the property of Dr. Velmonte where a medical training was held by non-government medical and health groups. According to reports, the participants in the training were lined up, frisked, blindfolded, and forcibly brought by army soldiers and policemen to Camp Capinpin, headquarters of the 202nd Infantry Brigade of the AFP. Personal belongings of the health workers, as well as the training materials used, were confiscated.
The insistence by the military that the legal rights of the arrested persons were being respected, despite the fact that they were refused counsel and denied visit by family members, is shameful at the very least. The lame excuse that they “are members of the New People’s Army” and conducted a “training to make explosives” is not only difficult to believe, but cannot be used to justify the gross violation of the legal and constitutional rights of the health workers.
The Gloria Arroyo regime has absolutely no reason, and should be ashamed for this attack against community health practitioners and volunteers. Many people die and suffer of ill health in poor and neglected communities, mainly because of the government’s dilapidated health program. Well-meaning health practitioners determined to help remedy the problem should be encouraged, and not fed to the Oplan Bantay Laya monster.
We call on Gloria Arroyo to intervene and order the immediate and unconditional release of the 43 health practitioners and workers arrested in Morong, Rizal. She should act accordingly and punish the perpetrators of this illegal arrest and all violators of human rights in her regime, if only to lessen the bloody stains in her record as outgoing president.
We call on the whole health sector to unite and condemn this attack against its members. We call on all community health worker volunteers to remain steadfast in our commitment to serve the people, especially the poor and marginalized.
Mary Adrivene B. Dalida
Executive Director, HELP-Panay
Room 9, 2nd Floor Jamerlan Building
Iznart Street, Iloilo City 5000
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team