Statement of the Women's Global Network Reproductive Rights (WGNRR) on the arrest of 43 health workers in the Philippines.
On the 6th of February 2010, 43 health workers were arrested in Morong, Philippines by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP). The 43 are accused of belonging to the New People’s Army, a faction of the Communist Party of the Philippines.
Over a month later, the ‘Morong 43’ are still detained in the custody of the AFP without having complete recourse to the law. WGNRR reaffirms the international community’s condemnation of the detention of the Morong 43 and urges the Philippine government to afford them their human rights.
WGNRR is extremely concerned by reports of the human rights abuses suffered by the 43 and implores authorities to comply with international documents such as the Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Conventions, in addition to the statutes of Philippine law. WGNRR supports the growing number of voices asking for the charges against the detainees to be outlined clearly and following all the procedures of the law. WGNRR fully believes that torture and force go against the fundamentals of our human rights and appeals to the Philippine government to investigate these worrying reports in a fair and timely manner.
WGNRR is a staunch advocate for the respect for human rights and calls on the Philippine government to afford the 43 their full rights and to ensure that the entire process is transparent, lawful and just; fully compliant with the internationally binding agreements on human rights. We request that all military and police personnel be trained in international human rights standards, ensuring that the rights of the people are in no way violated. We also request that a fully transparent method for redress is set-up.
WGNRR calls on its members to extend its support and solidarity for our Philippine partners in these trying times.
Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)
Red Mundial de Mujeres por los Derechos
Reproductivos Réseau Mondial de Femmes por les Droits Reproductifs
Marius van Bouwdijk Bastiaansestraat 56
1054 SP Amsterdam
13 Dao Street, Project 3
Barangay Quirino 3-A
Quezon City, 1102 Philippines
Tel.+ 63 (2) 913 6708
Telefax: + 63 (2) 7093193
Thursday, March 11, 2010
- International nurses’ organization write to US Sec...
- Danao City Jail Political Detainees-SOLIDARITY FAS...
- Military Accused of Harassing Kin of Morong 43 to ...
- ‘Unholy trinity’ to blame for ‘43’
- A Violative Verdict, A Denial of Justice
- A Primer on the Illegal Arrest, Detention and Tort...
- National Nurses United_US
- AFP desperate, Name Drops DOH and PMA- HEAD
- AFP Using PNP as Scapegoat for Violations!
- Military Defies CHR, Fails to Produce Morong 43 at...
- QC court throws out ‘forum shopping’ case vs CHR o...
- Letter of Support: Silliman University, Dumaguete ...
- Where the Court of Appeals feared to tread
- Health Workers Unite Against Repression and Fascis...
- Kins and colleagues of 43 health workers urge CHR ...
- Appeals Court Decision on Morong 43 Sets Dangerous...
- Katribu Sends Report to UN Rights Body on Morong 4...
- Teresa Quinawayan: Bringing Health Services to the...
- Women's Global Network Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)...
- Morong 43 lawyers to appeal CA decision
- Using Martial-Law Doctrine, CA Junks Morong 43’s H...
- Children of Morong 43 Speak Up: ‘Free Our Parents!...
- Rizal court defers arraignment of 'Morong 43'
- Three of Morong 43 detainees ‘secretly transferred...
- Service Employees International Union
- Military told to explain 'Morong 43' detention
- AFP employs deceitful tactics
- Morong 43 Still Being Tortured, Say Kin
- Dr. Merry Mia-Clamor: A Caring Mother, Doctor for ...
- A long history of attacks, abuses vs health worker...
- ▼ Mar (30)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team