MARK D. MERUEÑAS, GMANews.TV
A local court in Rizal on Friday deferred arraignment of the so-called Morong 43, pending resolution of several petitions earlier filed before the Court of Appeals in connection with their February 6 arrest.
The health workers — arrested in Morong on suspcion of being communist rebels — arrived at the Rizal Regional Trial Court before 8 a.m. for their arraignment.
Government authorities filed charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosive devices against the 43 individuals.
However, instead of being arraigned on Friday, the 43 health workers requested acting Judge Amorfina Cerrado-Cesar of the Rizal RTC-Branch 78 to first await the appellate court's ruling on a request by the health workers’ relatives for the issuance of a writ of habeas corpus.
"They cannot be arraigned because there are still pending questions on the manner of their arrest and detention," said Julius Garcia Matibag, one of the legal counsels of the 43 arrested individuals.
Alleging that the arrest was illegal, the Morong 43's families earlier asked the Court of Appeals to order their immediate release, demanding an explanation why the group was being kept in military custody when they are facing criminal charges.
The arrested individuals had also filed an urgent motion to transfer them in another detention cell, citing the military's "continued violation" of their human rights.
Military Spokesman Romeo Brawner Jr on Thursday said Armed Forces of the Philippines chief of staff General Victor Ibrado had already recommended the transfer of the Morong 43 to police custody.
The Commission on Human Rights had already summoned AFP officials to appear in the March 18 hearing that would be conducted as part of the rights body's ongoing investigation into alleged mental and physical torture by the military.
The military has repeatedly denied the torture allegations, claiming the detained health workers even preferred the facilities at the military camp over a regular provincial jail.
Lt. Col. Noel Detoyato, spokesman of the Army's 2nd Infantry Division, told GMA News that one of the female members of the Morong 43 still had a hair rebond on Thursday to prepare for Friday's arraignment.
Security was tight during the arraignment, with both policemen and soldiers securing the area.
Much to their dismay, relatives of the Morong 43 — and even members of the media — were barred from entering the court room.
Detoyato stressed the court had approved these restrictions. The health workers were brought back to Camp Capinpin after the arraignment was deferred. - RJAB Jr., GMANews.TV
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- International nurses’ organization write to US Sec...
- Danao City Jail Political Detainees-SOLIDARITY FAS...
- Military Accused of Harassing Kin of Morong 43 to ...
- ‘Unholy trinity’ to blame for ‘43’
- A Violative Verdict, A Denial of Justice
- A Primer on the Illegal Arrest, Detention and Tort...
- National Nurses United_US
- AFP desperate, Name Drops DOH and PMA- HEAD
- AFP Using PNP as Scapegoat for Violations!
- Military Defies CHR, Fails to Produce Morong 43 at...
- QC court throws out ‘forum shopping’ case vs CHR o...
- Letter of Support: Silliman University, Dumaguete ...
- Where the Court of Appeals feared to tread
- Health Workers Unite Against Repression and Fascis...
- Kins and colleagues of 43 health workers urge CHR ...
- Appeals Court Decision on Morong 43 Sets Dangerous...
- Katribu Sends Report to UN Rights Body on Morong 4...
- Teresa Quinawayan: Bringing Health Services to the...
- Women's Global Network Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)...
- Morong 43 lawyers to appeal CA decision
- Using Martial-Law Doctrine, CA Junks Morong 43’s H...
- Children of Morong 43 Speak Up: ‘Free Our Parents!...
- Rizal court defers arraignment of 'Morong 43'
- Three of Morong 43 detainees ‘secretly transferred...
- Service Employees International Union
- Military told to explain 'Morong 43' detention
- AFP employs deceitful tactics
- Morong 43 Still Being Tortured, Say Kin
- Dr. Merry Mia-Clamor: A Caring Mother, Doctor for ...
- A long history of attacks, abuses vs health worker...
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team