OFFICE OF THE CHAIRPERSON
ILPS CONDEMNS ARREST, TORTURE AND INDIGNITIES, DEMANDS IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF 43 HEALTH WORKERS
By Prof. Jose Maria Sison
International League of Peoples’ Struggle
The International League of Peoples’ Struggle strongly condemns the illegal arrest of 43 health workers and medical doctors by joint forces of the military and police last 6 February 2010 in Morong, Rizal, Philippines and their torture and continuing detention.
Since rendering social services to the people is the least of the government’s concern, organizations such as the Council for Health and Development (CHD-Philippines) has been delivering health and medical services to the people. Part of the CHD program is to give workshops and training to members of the community so they in turn can render health services to the masses.
Last 6 February, the community health workers, which included doctors, nurses and midwives, were participating in a one week First Responders Training sponsored by the CHD , when around 300 heavily armed elements of the 202nd Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army and the Rizal Philippine National Police barged in the training venue.
Without any warrant, the armed reactionaries arrested the health workers, handcuffed and blindfolded them. They brought them to a military camp where they were held incommunicado, interrogated and subjected to various forms of torture like deprivation of sleep and food, slappings and punches, electric shock and indignities.
The reactionary authorities tried to justify these brutalities by falsely accusing the health workers of being members of the New People's Army. During the raid on the training venue, the military raiders followed its usual modus operandi by planting weapons and explosives and documents as false evidence.
The raid against the health workers is part of the regime's policy to harass and intimidate opposition to its rule and policies such as CHD which has been critical of Arroyo's policies which are detrimental to the people, especially in the health and medical field.
The national policy behind the extra-judicial killings, the enforced disappearances and the systematic violations of human rights is embodied in the so-called counter-insurgency scheme of the US-Arroyo regime's Operation Bantay-Laya (OBL-Operation Freedom Watch). Under OBL gross human rights violations are systematically committed. OBL gives the military, police and paramilitary the license to kill, intimidate and harass any opposition to the US-Arroyo regime.
Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is determined to seal her infamous presidency as the worst violator of human rights, including political, social, economic and cultural rights. Under the auspices of the US global policy of terror, the Arroyo regime knows no bounds for its perpetration oft extra judicial killings, enforced disappearances, torture and other forms of oppressing the peoples. Under the US policy of “neoliberal globalization, the regime has subjected the people to the most brutal forms of exploitation on a wide scale.
The ILPS demands the immediate release of the 43 health workers!
It calls on its member organizations and the international community to make the strongest demand that they can muster for the release of the health workers and to condemn and hold protest actions against the gross and systematic violation of human rights in the Philippines. The US-Arroyo regime must be held accountable for its crimes against the Filipino people.###
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team