By Maricar Cinco
Inquirer Southern Luzon
SAN PEDRO, Laguna, Philippines -- Even doctors and health workers without political affiliations are alarmed by the arrest of the 43 health workers whom the military has tagged as communist rebels.
Dr. Rosauro Sta. Maria, a consultant at the University of Perpetual Help System in Biñan and a member of the Laguna Medical Society, said Sunday the arrest of the so-called “Morong 43” created a scare among medical practitioners who have been conducting regular medical missions in the remote areas in the province.
The 43 -- composed of doctors, a nurse, a midwife and health volunteers -- were arrested in a joint police and military raid in a rest house in Morong, Rizal, on Feb. 6, as they were conducting health training.
They have been held for over a week now in a military camp in Tanay, Rizal, over suspicions that they are members of the New People’s Army.
“When we conduct medical missions, we don’t ask the patients if they are (members of the) NPA. And even if I knew and if I helped them, would that make me an NPA?” said Sta. Maria in a phone interview.
“If the patient is a military man, we’d also treat him, just the same. So long as they need help, we don’t care (who they are). It’s part of our doctrine,” he added.
Sta. Maria said the scare has trickled down to the nurses and health volunteers. “Now, they hesitate to join us in medical missions and I can’t blame them.”
His group provides free medical services, literacy and disaster preparedness trainings to poor communities, especially after Tropical Storm “Ondoy” struck Laguna in September.
“Most of our Filipino doctors are now migrating abroad for higher pay. And for the few of us who decide to stay here, is this how they treat us? What do these doctors get out of helping people? Nothing,” St. Maria lamented.
He also asked state forces to leave the medical sector out of their war against the communists.
”Doctors are very busy people. They would not have time making bombs. They’d rather buy bombs than risk blowing themselves up!” he said, brushing off military reports that ammunitions were recovered from the 43 arrested.
The doctor also assailed the military for failing to present the 43 health workers in a hearing on Friday despite the court’s issuance of a writ of habeas corpus. “Now that makes us really wonder why could they not show these doctors? Do the doctors have lashes on their bodies?”
But the military has denied torturing the 43 persons to force them to admit links to the communist guerrillas.
Sta. Maria said members of the Philippine Pediatric Society in Southern Tagalog, Philippine Academy of Family Physicians and other medical societies in Laguna have been organizing themselves to drum up the campaign to free the 43 health workers.
“Is this Martial Law? They’re doing it all over again,” he said.
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team