Letter from the counsels for the Morong 43
These photos were taken immediately after the hearing yesterday before the Morong Regional Trial Court on the issue of their transfer from a military camp to a civilian police jail. There is an obvious scheme to keep them in the hands and at the mercy of the military.
They have been in the military camp since their illegal arrests last February 6, 2010 and have since been subjected to various forms of physical and psychological torture, threats, coercion, harrasments, intimidation, repeated and endless interrogations without the presence of counsels of their choice, among others. Their families are also being surveilled, harassed and threatened. Their private doctors are arbitrarily refused entry. They are still being subjected to psychological torture and psy-war tactics and to arbitrary restrictions. Five of them are presently segregated from the rest, kept in a military safehouse and are under duress and given military lawyers who eased out their counsels of choice. The latter have not been allowed to see or confer with the five since the start of March.
In spite of all of these and what they went through, they remain steadfast, committed, now even more assertive of their rights and in a fighting, defiant yet still jolly mood as the first picture shows. It was taken at the end of the lawyers’ briefing and before they were herded back to the military buses en route back to the military camp.
They shall go on fasting starting today in protest of their continued detention in the military camp and the deliberate refusal of the military to bring them to the last two hearings before the Philippine Commission on Human Rights (CHR) where they filed complaints against the military and police for atrocious human rights violations based on well-documented accounts. The military continues to defy and disrespect the CHR mandatory orders.
Please use these pictures as you deem fit. As far as we know, these are the first complete group pictures of the detainees with their lawyers. (No cameras are allowed inside the military camp, much less the taking of the detainees’ pictures as a group.)
National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL)
Public Interest Law Center (PILC)
Counsels for the Morong 43
- More political prisoners join fasting for the imme...
- AFP, PNP Handling of Morong 43 is a Post-Election ...
- First, it was the Court of Appeals. Then, it was t...
- GROUP CONDEMNS REFUSAL TO TRANSFER MORONG 43
- AFP, PNP obligadong sumunod sa bagong utos ng kort...
- ‘Morong 43’ supporters ask SC to grant habeas corp...
- Morong 43 has nothing to do with PNP's casualties ...
- Harassment of Morong detainees continues, immediat...
- Morong 43 Launch Fast for Freedom, Humane Treatmen...
- The Defiant 43
- Other political prisoners join solidarity fasting ...
- Free Morong 43, Bangit told
- FREE THE MORONG 43 HEALTHWORKERS in Philippines
- Rights Body to Initiate Contempt Raps vs Military ...
- Blighted: Philippine jurisprudence and State Repre...
- FREE THE 43 --- PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BASIC HEA...
- CHR Urges PNP to Accept Morong 43 in Civilian Dete...
- Heed the court order, transfer the health workers ...
- CBCP Statement on the Continued Detention of the M...
- Alliance slams defense secretary for branding inte...
- Free The Morong 43 (A Monologue)
- Acupuncture Advocates Call For Release of 43 Filip...
- ▼ Apr (22)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team