Saturday, April 24, 2010

GROUP CONDEMNS REFUSAL TO TRANSFER MORONG 43

As if they have not suffered enough, the detained health workers known as the Morong 43 will have to wait longer as the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police continue to refuse to transfer them to Camp Crame.

“We strongly condemn the AFP and PNP for their refusal to carry out a court order from the Morong Regional Trial Court. This is a continuing injustice being perpetrated to the detainees and their families,” said Dr. Julie Caguiat, spokesperson of the FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS NOW! ALLIANCE.

“The AFP and PNP are engaging in a sham at the expense of the detainees.”

The health workers, as well as their families and colleagues, vow to continue their fasting, now on its 8th day, to demand their transfer.

Officers of the PNP had previously refused to take into custody the health workers citing an alleged lack of facilities. The recent transfer of the Maguindanao massacre suspects gave the PNP no more excuses, as the Morong RTC reiterated its transfer order.

However, instead of obeying the order, PNP officials submitted an omnibus motion to the Morong Regional Trial Court, in effect refusing custody of the 43.

“Since when has the PNP been choosy about who to take into custody? Isn’t it their job?” added Dr. Caguiat.

“The situation of the health workers in Camp Capinpin is worsening every day. Aside from the verbal harassments, they are now denied lights and water.” Dr. Caguiat also said that camp authorities continue to deny entry to doctors and medical teams who wanted to check the health conditions of their colleagues.

“It is important is that they (health workers) are out of military custody.”

However, both the AFP and the PNP remained recalcitrant.

“It seems that neither the AFP nor the PNP is willing to obey the law. They should be cited for contempt of court by the Morong RTC.”

“We are also calling on the Supreme Court to expedite the resolution of our appeals. Every day of detention is a day of injustice for the health workers and their loved ones.”

Relatives and supporters of the detained health workers vowed to continue fasting and if not transferred immediately, to go on hunger strike.

References:

Julie Caguiat
Spokesperson
Celphone Number: 0909 113 3038

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts with advertisement links will be rejected / deleted!
Justice for the 43!

There was an error in this gadget

Archive