STATEMENT DENOUNCING ILLEGAL DETENTION OF 43 HEALTH WORKERS IN MORONG AND TO DEMAND THEIR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
We, nurses, representing various organizations and health institutions in both public and private sector join the collective outrage over the illegal detention of 43 health workers who were abducted early morning of February 6, 2010 by some 300 fully armed, combined elements of the 2nd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army and the Rizal Philippine National Police while holding a health skills training seminar in a private farmhouse in Morong, Rizal.
We demand their immediate release from the military camp where they are being illegally held with no formal charges filed against them but for mere allegations and suspicions of “subversive association.”
The organizers of the training activity, namely the Council for Health and Development and the Community Medicine Foundation or (COMMED), affirmed that those abducted were doctors, nurse, midwife and civilian health volunteers affiliated with health NGOs or representatives of people’s organizations who gathered to learn, harness health knowledge and skills that they will use to serve poor communities and underserved sectors in far-flung areas.
The house owner, a respected medical specialist at the PGH also condemned the brazenness of the armed troop and raged at the impunity by which the illegal raid and the arrest were done. The doctor, an advocate and supporter of community health service attested to the training seminar where she was also a resource person.
This incident is disturbing, to say the least, as it imperils people’s initiatives and efforts to build their own capacities and capabilities to manage their health needs in the absence of adequate public service. For health professionals like us, who may be considering the option of public service in the countryside, this incident is terrifying. For it is not only material comfort that one will be giving up when one chooses the selfless path of service to the poor, but possibly one’s life, as well.
We call on the civilian authorities, specifically the Department of Health, to assert its civilian supremacy over the military by demanding for the unconditional release of the health workers whose rights were severely violated when they were arrested not in the act of doing a crime, but while pursuing their civic calling.
We demand that the 43 health workers be surfaced immediately and brought to the proper legal courts to face off their military accusers and man-handlers.
We demand a stop to the harassment of health workers serving in the countryside.
Signed February 9, 2010 at Atrium 2, Philippine Heart Center of Asia, Quezon City.
TERESITA I. BARCELO-- PHILIPPINE NURSES ASSOCIATION
EUFEMIA F. OCTOVIANO
SHIRLEY V. PENA--CATHOLIC NURSES GUILD OF THE PHILIPPINES
LEYDEN V. FLORIDO
EULARITO A. TAGALOG--ORNAP
LUCIA V. SOLTES--CNGP
CARIDAD GALBAN--ANG NARS
LEAH PACQUEZ--ANG NARS
FLOR BURGOS--EAST AVENUE MEDICAL CENTER
CARMENCITA ESPELETA--ORNAP, EX-OFFICIO
LOURDES MARIE TEJERO
ELEANOR M. NOLASCO
MARISTELA P. ABENOJAR
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Inescapable Conclusion
- The Doctor is IN (JAIL)
- Letter from Maquila Solidarity Network
- Joint Statement by Japanese NGOs concerning Human ...
- On Republic Act 7438
- Dr. Carolyn V. Enriquez, Letter of Support
- Lawyer bares sexual harassment of ‘Morong 43’ wome...
- Continuous harassment of health workers in other p...
- CHD: AFP is a shameless institution
- Reporter's Notebook: Morong 43
- Human Rights Advocates Deliver Petitions and Praye...
- Reynaldo Macabenta: A Loving Father, Devoted Co-Wo...
- Gary Liberal: Dedicated Head Nurse, Committed Unio...
- Health workers detained in the Philippines
- STATEMENT on the Morong 43 by the Concerned Health...
- Morong 43
- Madrigal slams AFP for giving awards to ‘Morong 43...
- HEALS condemn abduction of 43 Health Workers
- Charges against ‘Morong 43’ are outrageous
- FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS!
- Position paper from Registered Nurses Dr. Jose Rei...
- Speech of Necta Montes condemning the illegal arre...
- PERMANENT PEOPLES’ TRIBUNAL appeal for the release...
- EU President's sister condemns jailing of 43 healt...
- STATEMENT: Nicanor Perlas and PANGMASA on Morong 4...
- APPEAL FOR DONATIONS
- ‘Morong 43’ wins first round battle
- 15 Feb News
- Laguna doctors troubled by arrest of ‘Morong 43’
- TO THE COURT OF APPEALS AGAIN
- CHRP Letter to Arroyo on Morong 43
- From Caritas New Zealand
- LET'S RAISE OUR NUMBERS FROM the BLOGESPEHERE TO ...
- COMMUNITY NURSES' GROUP demands release of illegal...
- Friends of artist Neil Doloricon call for the rele...
- This is Lydia Obera.
- LATEST ON THE 43
- Free ANGELA DOLORICON! FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS
- Nurses call for the release of the 43 health worke...
- People's Health Movement: FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKER...
- Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, Midwife
- Dr. Merry Mia -Clamor
- Dr. Alexis Montes
- RELATIVES on the 43 HEALTH WORKERS: they are conti...
- RP, most dangerous place for health workers too? -...
- Free the 43 Health Workers!
- The United Church of Canada Calls for the Immediat...
- The People’s Health Movement
- Statement of Support for the 43 Health Workers ill...
- Immediately Free the Victims! -CPA
- ILPS condemns arrest, torture, and indignities, de...
- Statement of Health, Education and Services for th...
- Taiwan Committee for Philippine Concerns (TCPC)
- Migrant Workers from South Korea calls for the rel...
- New Zealanders Denounce Abduction of 43 Doctors, H...
- Cebu-based CHD member organization calls for the r...
- Child rights advocates call for the release of Dr....
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team