Wednesday, March 3, 2010
35 Examiner Street, West Triangle Homes
Quezon City, Philippines
Eleanor A. Jara, MD
cellfone: 0917-9789297/(632) 929-8109
March 3, 2010
Health and human rights groups today slammed the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) for using taxpayers’ money for deceptive tactics such as the P50,000 “offer” to the detained health workers in exchange of their admission of involvement in the communist movement.
In a news article by Delfin Mallari Jr., the AFP admits to “offering” monetary remuneration to the 43 health workers but denied that the money was a bribe. 1st Lt. Celeste Frank Sayson, spokesperson of the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division in Tanay, Rizal said that the money is an offer of financial assistance under the government’s Social Integration Program for rebel returnees. The “offer” was made through a representative from the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) who met with the detainees on February 15 and 25.
“This is a direct insult to the judicial process and the families of the 43 health workers! Why would the AFP and the OPAPP take the liberty to make deceitful offers while the court has yet to decide whether the military’s accusations that the 43 are members of the New People’s Army (NPA) has basis or not,” said Dr. Eleanor A. Jara, Executive Director of the Council for Health and Development.
Dr. Jara said that although it is expected of the AFP to employ all forms of hard and soft tactics on the 43 health workers, this move exposes the military’s bankruptcy of morality and justice. She said that any member of the 43 can admit to anything after being subjected to various forms of torture.
The doctor added that if the government is indeed sincere in its involvement in the peace process, it should address the poverty and oppression of millions of Filipinos. Government funds derived from taxpayers’ money should be diverted to genuine economic and social reforms instead of spending for deceitful programs such as the so-called social integration programs, she said.
Dr. Jara cited Valentin Paulino’s mother’s revelation that her son is subjected to unimaginable forms of physical and mental torture. She said her son pleaded for his immediate release because he could not anymore bear what the military is doing to him. She added that her son confessed that he was forced to tell lies because the military threatened to harm his family. On the other hand, the military said that Paulino is showing interest in accepting the government’s cash reward for rebel returnees like him. But Paulino’s mother advised her son not to accept any offer from the military.
Earlier this week, Valentin Paulino with two other health workers has been reported missing by relatives. The relatives said that the three were taken out of their cells by guards. As of press time, the relatives have yet to see the three.##
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- International nurses’ organization write to US Sec...
- Danao City Jail Political Detainees-SOLIDARITY FAS...
- Military Accused of Harassing Kin of Morong 43 to ...
- ‘Unholy trinity’ to blame for ‘43’
- A Violative Verdict, A Denial of Justice
- A Primer on the Illegal Arrest, Detention and Tort...
- National Nurses United_US
- AFP desperate, Name Drops DOH and PMA- HEAD
- AFP Using PNP as Scapegoat for Violations!
- Military Defies CHR, Fails to Produce Morong 43 at...
- QC court throws out ‘forum shopping’ case vs CHR o...
- Letter of Support: Silliman University, Dumaguete ...
- Where the Court of Appeals feared to tread
- Health Workers Unite Against Repression and Fascis...
- Kins and colleagues of 43 health workers urge CHR ...
- Appeals Court Decision on Morong 43 Sets Dangerous...
- Katribu Sends Report to UN Rights Body on Morong 4...
- Teresa Quinawayan: Bringing Health Services to the...
- Women's Global Network Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)...
- Morong 43 lawyers to appeal CA decision
- Using Martial-Law Doctrine, CA Junks Morong 43’s H...
- Children of Morong 43 Speak Up: ‘Free Our Parents!...
- Rizal court defers arraignment of 'Morong 43'
- Three of Morong 43 detainees ‘secretly transferred...
- Service Employees International Union
- Military told to explain 'Morong 43' detention
- AFP employs deceitful tactics
- Morong 43 Still Being Tortured, Say Kin
- Dr. Merry Mia-Clamor: A Caring Mother, Doctor for ...
- A long history of attacks, abuses vs health worker...
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team