By Sloan Ramos
Posted by Bulatlat.com
BAGUIO CITY – The Katribu Partylist sent a report to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights on the continued detention of the 43 community health workers, known as the “Morong 43,” who were arrested by elements of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, February 6.
In a press conference Wednesday, the Cordillera People’s Alliance (CPA) announced that it has endorsed the said report. Abigail Anongos, CPA secretary general, noted that the case of the Morong 43 is a concern given that two of the detained are indigenous women, one coming from the Cordillera region, referring to Angela Manugan Doloricon, a Kankanaey from the northern town of Sagada, Mountain Province.
Anongos condemned the arrest of the 43 community health workers by elements of the 2nd ID of the AFP. She also said that the CPA has been supporting the campaign of Katribu Partylist, especially in the release of the 43 health workers.
Katribu is a partylist that is representing the indigenous peoples of the country. CPA is one of its founders. It is aiming for a seat in Congress in the May 2010 elections.
Anongos noted that the Philippines is a signatory to the Comprehensive Agreement on the Respect of Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law, therefore the human rights of the 43 arrested health workers must be respected.
However, Anongos said the human rights of the 43 detained health workers are deliberately violated, noting that the men have undergone physical torture, apart from the emotional and mental torture that they are experiencing under detention.She argued that the Morong 43 must instead be commended in their dedication to provide health services to marginalized and far flung communities.
Anongos added that local health workers in the Cordillera are also experiencing harassment from state agencies. She said that members of the Community Health Education, Services and Training in the Cordillera Region (Chestcore), a community health organization, also experienced intimidation from soldiers while they were conducting a medical mission in the province of Kalinga.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- International nurses’ organization write to US Sec...
- Danao City Jail Political Detainees-SOLIDARITY FAS...
- Military Accused of Harassing Kin of Morong 43 to ...
- ‘Unholy trinity’ to blame for ‘43’
- A Violative Verdict, A Denial of Justice
- A Primer on the Illegal Arrest, Detention and Tort...
- National Nurses United_US
- AFP desperate, Name Drops DOH and PMA- HEAD
- AFP Using PNP as Scapegoat for Violations!
- Military Defies CHR, Fails to Produce Morong 43 at...
- QC court throws out ‘forum shopping’ case vs CHR o...
- Letter of Support: Silliman University, Dumaguete ...
- Where the Court of Appeals feared to tread
- Health Workers Unite Against Repression and Fascis...
- Kins and colleagues of 43 health workers urge CHR ...
- Appeals Court Decision on Morong 43 Sets Dangerous...
- Katribu Sends Report to UN Rights Body on Morong 4...
- Teresa Quinawayan: Bringing Health Services to the...
- Women's Global Network Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)...
- Morong 43 lawyers to appeal CA decision
- Using Martial-Law Doctrine, CA Junks Morong 43’s H...
- Children of Morong 43 Speak Up: ‘Free Our Parents!...
- Rizal court defers arraignment of 'Morong 43'
- Three of Morong 43 detainees ‘secretly transferred...
- Service Employees International Union
- Military told to explain 'Morong 43' detention
- AFP employs deceitful tactics
- Morong 43 Still Being Tortured, Say Kin
- Dr. Merry Mia-Clamor: A Caring Mother, Doctor for ...
- A long history of attacks, abuses vs health worker...
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team