President Noynoy Aquino should strengthen community-based health programs as partners in developing better healthcare for all.
The group Health Alliance for Democracy made this call as it joined volunteer community health workers from all over the country in a four-day general assembly in Quezon City. The assembly ended yesterday amid re-affirmations of commitment to serve far-flung areas despite very little government support and threats from state security forces.
“Community-based health programs have been at the forefront of providing healthcare services and education since the 1970s. These are people helping people, volunteers from poor families who provide services and basic health education to their fellow poor families, especially in rural and frontier areas,” said Dr. Darby Santiago, an ophthalmologist and HEAD chairperson.
According to Dr. Santiago, the continuing relevance of CBHPs today reflects not just their significant role among marginalized communities but also government’s failures to address the needs of these communities.
“People-based health programs work because they are anchored on people’s direct participation, on commitment despite the odds, and on communal welfare rather than on narrow self interests.”
The Aquino administration should strengthen and support such people-based health initiatives instead of promoting the corporatization of public hospitals or the privatization of healthcare, which are mainly for profit.
“The invaluable role community health workers should also be emulated. They fill in the gaps where there are no doctors and nurses. They should not be seen as competitors or threats to government, as the military and state security forces usually say,” added Dr. Santiago.
He reminded the case of Morong 43, or the 43 detained and tortured community health workers, as a cautionary tale that should never be allowed to happen again.
“The CHWs remain unfazed in spite of what happened to their colleagues, who like them, have volunteered their lives to help the needy. They reaffirm their commitment while demanding that the injustices stop now.”
“Some injustices should be immediately rectified through the release of the Morong 43!” concluded Dr. Santiago. ###
Dr. Geneve E. Rivera
Secretary-General, Health Alliance for Democracy(HEAD)
Cellphone #: 0920 460 3712
Dr. Darby S. Santiago
Chair, Health Alliance for Democracy(HEAD)
Cellphone #: 0927 473 7700
Sunday, August 15, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Sidebar: Three Months Not Enough for Nursing Mom, ...
- Alliance to jail officials: Implement court order ...
- Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights -- ...
- Court grants Judilyn Oliveros' plea to breastfeed ...
- Letter to DOJ Secretary De Lima re-Morong 43
- Press Statement by the Morong 43 detainees from Ca...
- On the Inhumane Justice Based on the Illegal Arres...
- LOREN APPEALS FOR JUDICIAL HUMANITARIANISM: ALLOW ...
- To P-Noy : Learn from personal and collective his...
- Statement Sen. Teofisto “TG” Guingona on Judilyn O...
- Visiting hours suspended today because of Morong 4...
- Group disappointed by court decision; outraged by ...
- To the families of the 43 detained health workers:...
- HEAD to PNoy: Strengthen People-Based Health Progr...
- Court defers arraignment of 'Morong 43' anew
- De Lima Supports Non-Separation of Morong 43 Mom, ...
- Some injustices can be corrected now, even without...
- DOJ chief won’t let Morong 43 detainee separated f...
- Office of the General Assembly Gradye Pa...
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team