30 health workers, teachers, community organizers, and allies gathered outside the Philippine Consulate in Vancouver on the eve the Philippines Presidential Inauguration to the demand the release of 43 health workers that have been detained since February 6, 2010.
“These courageous health care workers provide essential health care to poor and marginalized communities in the Philippines, often at great personal sacrifice” said Martha Roberts of the Alliance for People’s Health. “Absolutely no evidence has been produced that would justify their imprisonment or the supposed links to the armed New People’s Army.”
The Philippines currently spends 6 times more on the military and 63 times more on IMF/WB debt servicing than on health care to its own citizens. As a consequence of privatization and the labour export program of the government of the Philippines many Filipinos have virtually no access to health care. At the time of their abduction the 43 health care workers who have come to be known as the ‘Morong 43’ were participating in a “first responders” health training to respond to the unmet need in their own communities.
“One of the detainees I have known since 2003. Ma. Teresa Quinawayan, is a midwife who provides care to the most marginalized mothers of Filipino society. The accusation that with one hand she brings life into this world, and with the other she builds bombs, is simply outrageous. Doctor Merry Mia-Clamor I have personally witnessed, on a number of occasions, examining patients with the deepest love and respect. And Reynaldo Macabenta repeatedly took time to make my own young children feel welcome and comfortable in a new culture and environment, ensuring that our needs were met and we had someone we could rely on for help” Ms. Roberts elaborated. “These women and men should be lauded for their contribution to Filipino society, not condemned to languish in prison. This case is symbolic of the pattern of human rights abuses of the past decade under the Arroyo regime. It is our hope that President Aquino will chart a new path, starting with the immediate and unconditional release of these brave health care workers.”
View Original Post: President Benigno Aquino III – Free the Health Workers Now!
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- High hopes for immediate end to human rights abuse...
- President Benigno Aquino III – Free the Health Wor...
- “Free the 43! No Justice, No Peace, Free the 43!”
- An Open Letter to President Aquino
- Filipinos Mobilise British Union on Impunity in th...
- Statement of Gratitude to Our International Suppor...
- Sta. Cruz farmers cry harassment vs. military
- Ecumenical Voice reports back on their engagement ...
- ‘Daang matuwid’ points to freeing Morong 43
- Morong 43 relatives pay visit to Aquino home to pl...
- Roneo Clamor delivers oral intervention on the Mor...
- AFP’s commitment to human rights, a big lie
- V&VN: laat Morong 43 vrij
- Pregnancy in Prison, Two Women Contemplate The Fat...
- Letter of condolence to the family, friends, and c...
- APALA Mourns Loss of National President John Dello...
- Free the 43 Health Workers and all Political Priso...
- World Council of Churches expresses deep concern a...
- GENEVA, JUNE 7 – In a clear signal of continuing s...
- The Case of the Morong 43: emblematic of systemic...
- Philippine NGO delegation conducts side event duri...
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team