On their fourth month of detention, kin and supporters of the Morong 43 gather at Camp Bagong Diwa to reiterate their demand for justice for the 43 illegally detained health workers and call on incoming president Aquino to release them.
Dr. Julie Caguiat, spokesperson of the FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKERS ALLIANCE said” releasing the Morong 43 and all political prisoners is the perfect opportunity to show president-elect Aquino to show his commitment on human rights. This is a chance to depart from the Arroyos atrocious and brutal regime.”
“On how Aquino will act on the Morong 43 will surely be a litmus test on his administration’s policy on human rights”, said Caguiat.
We hope that president-elect Aquino will be true to his pledge before the EU diplomatic community that he will seek justice for the victims of extrajudicial killings and we expect more of him to uphold and protect the rights of every citizen of this country to whom he owes his mandate.
At present, the group is awaiting the decision of the Supreme Court on matters concerning the appeal on the petition for writ of habeas corpus. The group also is looking forward to the next investigation/hearing to be called by the Commission on Human Rights on the case filed by the detainees and their relatives on human rights violations by the AFP and PNP.
The issue of the Morong 43 has attracted a massive local and international support. As of the moment a delegation of human rights advocates have presented the case before the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva.
Apart from the this plea, Caguiat said that the release of Morong 43 can only be meaningful if human rights violations of the Arroyo administration and its cohorts are made accountable.
“We fervently hope that the Aquino administration takes as an urgent matter the case of the Morong 43 in its assumption of office,” Dr. Caguiat concluded.
Dr. Julie Caguiat
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- High hopes for immediate end to human rights abuse...
- President Benigno Aquino III – Free the Health Wor...
- “Free the 43! No Justice, No Peace, Free the 43!”
- An Open Letter to President Aquino
- Filipinos Mobilise British Union on Impunity in th...
- Statement of Gratitude to Our International Suppor...
- Sta. Cruz farmers cry harassment vs. military
- Ecumenical Voice reports back on their engagement ...
- ‘Daang matuwid’ points to freeing Morong 43
- Morong 43 relatives pay visit to Aquino home to pl...
- Roneo Clamor delivers oral intervention on the Mor...
- AFP’s commitment to human rights, a big lie
- V&VN: laat Morong 43 vrij
- Pregnancy in Prison, Two Women Contemplate The Fat...
- Letter of condolence to the family, friends, and c...
- APALA Mourns Loss of National President John Dello...
- Free the 43 Health Workers and all Political Priso...
- World Council of Churches expresses deep concern a...
- GENEVA, JUNE 7 – In a clear signal of continuing s...
- The Case of the Morong 43: emblematic of systemic...
- Philippine NGO delegation conducts side event duri...
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team