In a silent gathering, relatives of the Morong 43 paid a visit to the home of President-elect Noynoy Aquino today at Times in Quezon City.
The group delivered a letter of appeal to free the Morong 43 signed by Christian Montes, youngest son of Dr. Alexis Montes in behalf of the other kin of the detained health workers.
“We are here to request to the incoming administration of President Aquino to finally address the case of the Morong 43 and the human rights violations inflicted upon them,” says the young Montes.
“Ultimately, we seek that President Aquino urgently free our relatives languishing in jail for more than four months upon his assumption of office.”
The group of relatives also called on President Aquino to resolve the gross human rights violations of the outgoing administration. There have been hundreds of human rights violations, including arbitrary arrests, extrajudicial killings and political disappearances which have been in a tragically historic peak since the days of the Martial Law.
“We hope that President Aquino’s tenure would reflect a clear stand on human rights” Montes said.
Though the president was not there to personally meet the relatives, the letter was received by Mar Rodriguez, one of the media staff of President Aquino assigned to accommodate visitors at the Aquino residence.
Also present during the visit was, Ofelia Beltran, whose daughter, Jane Balleta is among the Morong 43. Beltran is the daughter of the late labor leader and then congressman, Ka Crispin Beltran or Ka Bel.
Ofelia Beltran lamented how unfortunate that two of her immediate family members have been victimized by the cruelty of the Arroyo government, then his father, this time her daughter. Ka Bel was among the famed Batasan 5 and was put in hospital arrest at the Philippine Heart Center for more than a year.
Meanwhile, Dr. Julie Caguiat, spokesperson of the FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS ALLIANCE, said while they are calling for the unconditional release of all 43 health workers, at this point, they also call for the immediate release of some of the detainees with urgent medical concerns. They include 2 pregnant detainees, Judielyn Carina Oliveros and Mercy Castro, and Jane Balleta who is suffering from epilepsy. Balleta was recently hospitalized at the Philippine General Hospital.
Recently, Ecumenical Voice for Peace and Human Rights in the Philippine or Ecuvoice , a delegation of human rights defenders, presented the case of the Morong 43 at the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva Switzerland.
Dr. Julie Caguiat
FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKERS! ALLIANCE
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- High hopes for immediate end to human rights abuse...
- President Benigno Aquino III – Free the Health Wor...
- “Free the 43! No Justice, No Peace, Free the 43!”
- An Open Letter to President Aquino
- Filipinos Mobilise British Union on Impunity in th...
- Statement of Gratitude to Our International Suppor...
- Sta. Cruz farmers cry harassment vs. military
- Ecumenical Voice reports back on their engagement ...
- ‘Daang matuwid’ points to freeing Morong 43
- Morong 43 relatives pay visit to Aquino home to pl...
- Roneo Clamor delivers oral intervention on the Mor...
- AFP’s commitment to human rights, a big lie
- V&VN: laat Morong 43 vrij
- Pregnancy in Prison, Two Women Contemplate The Fat...
- Letter of condolence to the family, friends, and c...
- APALA Mourns Loss of National President John Dello...
- Free the 43 Health Workers and all Political Priso...
- World Council of Churches expresses deep concern a...
- GENEVA, JUNE 7 – In a clear signal of continuing s...
- The Case of the Morong 43: emblematic of systemic...
- Philippine NGO delegation conducts side event duri...
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team