The FREE THE 43 HEALTH WORKERS! ALLIANCE hits the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on its latest pronouncement that it is committed to protect human rights and it welcomes the move to bring the Morong 43 case before an international forum.
“What respect for human rights is the AFP talking about?” asks Dr. Julie Caguiat, spokesperson of the Free the 43 Alliance. The AFP blatantly violated the basic human rights of the 43 health workers when on February 6, 2010, they illegally arrested, detained and tortured the doctors, nurse, midwives and community health workers. The AFP planted guns and explosives at the health training site. The military denied the right of the health workers to counsel and doctors of their choice for the first three days.
Though the military has continued to deny the allegations of illegal arrests and torture, a medical report by an independent group of physicians last February revealed that there were indeed signs of physical and mental torture. For 36 hours under detention, they were continuously blindfolded, handcuffed and interrogated. The military had to put down and bring up their under wears every time they had to go to the toilet. Dr. Alexis Montes, the detained surgeon himself testified before the Court of Appeals that he was electrocuted and was exposed to a certain chemical.
In a recent media report, the AFP claims to be open to any “legitimate investigation of the incident”. But the military defied orders of the Court of Appeals and the Commission on Human Rights to bring the 43 health workers to Court and the Commission hearing. They, likewise, defied the order of the Morong Regional Trial Court to immediately transfer the 43 health workers to Camp Crame, a civilian custodial facility.
“All the enforced disappearances, extrajudicial killings and illegal arrests went unpunished, giving rise to a culture of impunity that characterized Mrs. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s government. The AFP has absolutely lost its credibility through its distortion of truth, its track record of lies, atrocities and barbaric acts; such is the commitment of the AFP to human rights”, said Dr. Caguiat.
Dr. Julie Caguiat
Spokesperson, FREE THE 43 HEALTHWORKERS! ALLIANCE
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- High hopes for immediate end to human rights abuse...
- President Benigno Aquino III – Free the Health Wor...
- “Free the 43! No Justice, No Peace, Free the 43!”
- An Open Letter to President Aquino
- Filipinos Mobilise British Union on Impunity in th...
- Statement of Gratitude to Our International Suppor...
- Sta. Cruz farmers cry harassment vs. military
- Ecumenical Voice reports back on their engagement ...
- ‘Daang matuwid’ points to freeing Morong 43
- Morong 43 relatives pay visit to Aquino home to pl...
- Roneo Clamor delivers oral intervention on the Mor...
- AFP’s commitment to human rights, a big lie
- V&VN: laat Morong 43 vrij
- Pregnancy in Prison, Two Women Contemplate The Fat...
- Letter of condolence to the family, friends, and c...
- APALA Mourns Loss of National President John Dello...
- Free the 43 Health Workers and all Political Priso...
- World Council of Churches expresses deep concern a...
- GENEVA, JUNE 7 – In a clear signal of continuing s...
- The Case of the Morong 43: emblematic of systemic...
- Philippine NGO delegation conducts side event duri...
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team