IT HAS BEEN FOUR MONTHS SINCE STATE security forces detained 43 health workers attending a health skills training seminar in Morong, Rizal. Until now, for these colleagues of ours from the health sector, justice has been elusive.
As a nurse in a government-run hospital, I have personally seen the horrors of a failed health care system and I am angered by the fact that in this country—where seven out 10 ill citizens die without the benefit of being checked by a health care provider—health workers who labored to ameliorate the health conditions of people especially in far-flung areas have been abducted, tortured and put to jail.
As the eagerly awaited sunset of the Arroyo regime approaches, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo can never boast of a legacy that promotes health care reforms, human rights protection or health workers’ empowerment.
I am hopeful and optimistic that President-elect Noynoy Aquino will be true to his promise to take the “daang matuwid” (righteous path). One thing he can do to show he is fulfilling this promise is by releasing the Morong 43 and all political detainees and by giving justice to all victims of human rights violations during the Arroyo regime.
By releasing the Morong 43, Aquino will be showing concrete proof that he is completely different from his much-hated predecessor. And that like these 43 jailed heroes, he is committed to uphold human rights and safeguard the people’s health.
—SEAN HERBERT VELCHEZ, RN,
Philippine Orthopedic Center,
Maria Clara St., Quezon City
- Dec (35)
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- High hopes for immediate end to human rights abuse...
- President Benigno Aquino III – Free the Health Wor...
- “Free the 43! No Justice, No Peace, Free the 43!”
- An Open Letter to President Aquino
- Filipinos Mobilise British Union on Impunity in th...
- Statement of Gratitude to Our International Suppor...
- Sta. Cruz farmers cry harassment vs. military
- Ecumenical Voice reports back on their engagement ...
- ‘Daang matuwid’ points to freeing Morong 43
- Morong 43 relatives pay visit to Aquino home to pl...
- Roneo Clamor delivers oral intervention on the Mor...
- AFP’s commitment to human rights, a big lie
- V&VN: laat Morong 43 vrij
- Pregnancy in Prison, Two Women Contemplate The Fat...
- Letter of condolence to the family, friends, and c...
- APALA Mourns Loss of National President John Dello...
- Free the 43 Health Workers and all Political Priso...
- World Council of Churches expresses deep concern a...
- GENEVA, JUNE 7 – In a clear signal of continuing s...
- The Case of the Morong 43: emblematic of systemic...
- Philippine NGO delegation conducts side event duri...
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team