Manila, Philippines -- The People’s Health Movement (PHM), a global network bringing together grassroots activists, civil society organizations, academics and health workers from around the world, reiterates our strong condemnation of the illegal arrest and continued detention of 43 community health workers and doctors in the Philippines who continue to unjustly languish in jail since February 6, 2010.
The health workers who were conducting health skills training to enhance their health interventions in poorly resourced rural areas, but were illegally arrested, detained, and tortured continue to be victims of human rights violations. Their arrest is not just an attack on their persons but more so, is an attack on the right to health of the poor. Their continued unjust detention has deprived millions of poor people the health services that these health workers have long been giving them.
To call the attention of President Noynoy Aquino to their innocence vis a vis the charges levied against them and the urgent need for their release, these so called Morong 43 Health workers have staged a hunger strike in pursuit of justice.
The PHM supports the hunger strike of the Morong 43 and is in solidarity with them in their continuing fight for justice! We call on justice, freedom and peace loving citizens of the Philippines to do the same.
The PHM calls on the Philippine President Benigno C. Aquino III to immediately and unconditionally release the Morong 43 and dismiss all charges filed against them NOW! Just as he supported the call for Burmese Aung San Suu Kyii’s immediate release as well as amnesty for the soldiers who were involved in coup d’etat attempts in the Philippines, we urge him to order the immediate and unconditional release of the Morong 43.
Indeed, justice delayed is justice denied!
Dr. Edelina P. Dela Paz
Coordinator, PHM Southeast Asia
Member, Global Steering Council
People’s Health Movement
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
- Morong 43 Release in Pictures
- Freedom of the Morong 43 is fruit of the people's ...
- ‘Morong 43’ women first to walk out of detention
- Finally, most of the 43 Philippine health workers ...
- Relatives and supporters vow to keep vigil until j...
- Courts order release 43 health workers freed
- Pagsaludo sa "Morong 43" [ Salute to the Morong 43...
- US-backed P-Noy is No Champion of Human Rights-- B...
- Full text of the Memorandum on the immediate withd...
- A Call for Freedom on Human Rights Day
- Don’t be onion-skinned on Morong 43 issue, Aquino ...
- WE SUPPORT THE HUNGER STRIKE OF THE MORONG 43
- Chiz: Free Morong 43
- Statement of the People's Health Movement-Southeas...
- Group hits P-noy annoyance on Morong 43 questions....
- Release them
- MAKABAYAN demands the release of Morong 43
- SET THEM FREE: A Candlelight Vigil at the Philippi...
- Enough of Presidential Word Play! Effect the Immed...
- DOJ Picket
- 'Morong 43' lawyer: Aquino has wrong info
- Palace should make categorical statement on Morong...
- 43 for the 43
- Ten months is enough, withdraw all cases against t...
- PNOY SHOULD END HIS TIRED REFRAIN AND RELEASE THE ...
- ‘Morong 43’ detainees getting sick due to hunger s...
- GABRIELA-USA Calls for Solidarity as the 43 Health...
- Medical team was not allowed to conduct a medical ...
- Morong 43’s Hunger Strike is not only legitimate, ...
- INTERNATIONAL CHURCH LEADERS/REPRESENTATIVES DELEG...
- Hunger Strike Day 1
- Statement of the Morong 43 on Day 1 of their Hunge...
- Call to International Networks in Support of Moron...
- Lawyers, doctors, nurses, and health workers march...
- JOINT STATEMENT ON THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF SOLIDA...
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- Dec (35)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team