By Kristine L. Alave
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE) Six hours after their lawyers received the courts' orders to discharge them, the female members of the so-called "Morong 43," the group of health workers arrested 10 months ago in Morong, Rizal, on suspicion of being communist rebels, were the first to be released from detention late Friday night.
Delia Ocasla was greeted with cheers from relatives and supporters when she emerged from the gates of the BJMP jail at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City at 11 p.m.
She was the first detainee to be freed among the 23 women detainees after 10 months and 7 days in detention.
Shortly after Ocasla, the other women detainees stepped out of the gates with wide smiles and clenched left fists raised.
The women carried their belongings in plastic bags. One detainee carried a sign that said "Maraming salamat po sa mga sumuporta sa Morong 43 (Many thanks to all supporters of Morong 43)."
Lawyers of the group said the release of the 15 male detainees will be delayed as they were still being processed.
Morong 43 released from Camp Bagong Diwa
- Morong 43 Release in Pictures
- Freedom of the Morong 43 is fruit of the people's ...
- ‘Morong 43’ women first to walk out of detention
- Finally, most of the 43 Philippine health workers ...
- Relatives and supporters vow to keep vigil until j...
- Courts order release 43 health workers freed
- Pagsaludo sa "Morong 43" [ Salute to the Morong 43...
- US-backed P-Noy is No Champion of Human Rights-- B...
- Full text of the Memorandum on the immediate withd...
- A Call for Freedom on Human Rights Day
- Don’t be onion-skinned on Morong 43 issue, Aquino ...
- WE SUPPORT THE HUNGER STRIKE OF THE MORONG 43
- Chiz: Free Morong 43
- Statement of the People's Health Movement-Southeas...
- Group hits P-noy annoyance on Morong 43 questions....
- Release them
- MAKABAYAN demands the release of Morong 43
- SET THEM FREE: A Candlelight Vigil at the Philippi...
- Enough of Presidential Word Play! Effect the Immed...
- DOJ Picket
- 'Morong 43' lawyer: Aquino has wrong info
- Palace should make categorical statement on Morong...
- 43 for the 43
- Ten months is enough, withdraw all cases against t...
- PNOY SHOULD END HIS TIRED REFRAIN AND RELEASE THE ...
- ‘Morong 43’ detainees getting sick due to hunger s...
- GABRIELA-USA Calls for Solidarity as the 43 Health...
- Medical team was not allowed to conduct a medical ...
- Morong 43’s Hunger Strike is not only legitimate, ...
- INTERNATIONAL CHURCH LEADERS/REPRESENTATIVES DELEG...
- Hunger Strike Day 1
- Statement of the Morong 43 on Day 1 of their Hunge...
- Call to International Networks in Support of Moron...
- Lawyers, doctors, nurses, and health workers march...
- JOINT STATEMENT ON THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF SOLIDA...
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- Dec (35)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team