Their relatives as well as thousands of people from the world over await in anticipation the 43 health workers as they are expected to be released from Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City today.
Seven days after Philippine President Benigno Aquino III first publicly declared the withdrawal of all cases against the health workers, relatives are still uncertain whether or not the detained health workers shall finally “be reunited with their families” and “the people they so lovingly serve” after spending more than ten months behind bars, registered nurse and Free the 43 Health Workers! Alliance spokesperson Carlos Montemayor said.
Dr. Alex Montes’ wife, Evelyn, said she could not wait to “make up for lost time” and do “some family bonding activities” but worried about groups who are “doing everything they can to block the Department of Justice’s motion to withdraw the cases and facilitate the release of the health workers.”
Other detainees’ wives, husbands, children, and relatives shared the same plight. They said the military and groups such as Rep. Louis V. Alcover’s ANAD Party list are consciously “doing rounds” to intimidate or attempt to influence legislators and independent personalities to withdraw their support to the Morong 43 campaign.
Alcover submitted an opposition to withdraw the cases filed against the Morong 43 Wednesday this week but Judge Gina Cenit-Escoto, presiding judge of the Morong Regional Trial Court Branch 78 dismissed his motion saying there is no basis since he is not a party to the case.
The judge declared she will not entertain any more opposition and will be arriving with a decision until today.
Montemayor said that while it is very obvious that the military is the perfect example of not doing what it preaches, such as claiming it respects the commander-in-chief’s order to withdraw all cases but doing everything it can to covertly and overtly block the release of the health workers, their group is reassured of the massive support that local and international groups express adding that “fear and anxiety is replaced by fervor and conviction to pursue what is just for the 43 and the rest of political prisoners nationwide.”
“We are confident that Judge Gina Cenit-Escoto will not allow herself to be influenced by anybody, regardless of their power and position, in immediately executing the orders of the President,” he added.
Carlos Montemayor, R.N.
0922 499 6237 / (+632) 929 8109
Friday, December 17, 2010
- Morong 43 Release in Pictures
- Freedom of the Morong 43 is fruit of the people's ...
- ‘Morong 43’ women first to walk out of detention
- Finally, most of the 43 Philippine health workers ...
- Relatives and supporters vow to keep vigil until j...
- Courts order release 43 health workers freed
- Pagsaludo sa "Morong 43" [ Salute to the Morong 43...
- US-backed P-Noy is No Champion of Human Rights-- B...
- Full text of the Memorandum on the immediate withd...
- A Call for Freedom on Human Rights Day
- Don’t be onion-skinned on Morong 43 issue, Aquino ...
- WE SUPPORT THE HUNGER STRIKE OF THE MORONG 43
- Chiz: Free Morong 43
- Statement of the People's Health Movement-Southeas...
- Group hits P-noy annoyance on Morong 43 questions....
- Release them
- MAKABAYAN demands the release of Morong 43
- SET THEM FREE: A Candlelight Vigil at the Philippi...
- Enough of Presidential Word Play! Effect the Immed...
- DOJ Picket
- 'Morong 43' lawyer: Aquino has wrong info
- Palace should make categorical statement on Morong...
- 43 for the 43
- Ten months is enough, withdraw all cases against t...
- PNOY SHOULD END HIS TIRED REFRAIN AND RELEASE THE ...
- ‘Morong 43’ detainees getting sick due to hunger s...
- GABRIELA-USA Calls for Solidarity as the 43 Health...
- Medical team was not allowed to conduct a medical ...
- Morong 43’s Hunger Strike is not only legitimate, ...
- INTERNATIONAL CHURCH LEADERS/REPRESENTATIVES DELEG...
- Hunger Strike Day 1
- Statement of the Morong 43 on Day 1 of their Hunge...
- Call to International Networks in Support of Moron...
- Lawyers, doctors, nurses, and health workers march...
- JOINT STATEMENT ON THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF SOLIDA...
- Nov (24)
- Oct (21)
- Sep (12)
- Aug (19)
- Jul (9)
- Jun (21)
- May (5)
- Apr (22)
- Mar (30)
- Feb (58)
- Dec (35)
- QC-RTC Branch 226 pinagpaliban ang kaso ng Morong 43 vs GMA
- Pagdinig ng QC-RTC Branch 226 sa kaso ng Morong 43 muling ipinagpaliban
- Court hears P15M damage suit filed by Morong 43 vs Arroyo, former top military, police officials
- President slammed over inaction in ‘Morong 43’ case
- Joker Arroyo: Releasing ‘Morong 43’ simple justice
- DoJ chief gives Aquino revised memo on 'Morong 43'
- Palace vows to heed call of Morong 43 -- mb.com.ph
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release -- GMA News.tv
- 'Morong 43' go on hunger strike -- Asian Correspondent
- 'Morong 43' holds hunger strike -- Sun Star Manila
- ‘Morong 43’ goes on hunger strike -- ATN
- 'Morong 43' on hunger strike to ask for release
- Morong 43 go on hunger strike -- ABS CBN News
- AMID ‘MUTINEERS’ IMPENDING RELEASE Aquino asked: What about the Morong 43? -- Inquirer.net
- Morong 43 report under review -- Palace legal team